- The National Do Not Mail Registry Is Dedicated to Helping Save the Planet and Helping You Rid Your Mail Box of Unwanted Junk Mail
We have the tools and resources to get your name off the unsolicited email, phone lists, mailing lists and other factors that get you unwanted materials. The National Do Not Mail Registry is here to help you get rid of the unwanted sales calls and junk mail forever.
- Junk Mail Kills 2.6 Million Trees Every Year. I assumed each piece of “standard mail” was junk mail (this is only about 50% of the total volume of US Mail) and assumed that junk mail uses 2 sheets of paper (1 envelope and 1 letter), found the number of sheets of paper per tree, and did some math. Of course some junk mail is only a postcard, but some is a catalog. And some does use recycled paper. But I did not factor in any of the damage caused by all those trucks burning gas to deliver all the mail either.
- Every US Household Gets 6 Pieces of Junk Mail Each Day. I took the total volume of junk mail and divided by the number of households and the number of mail delivery days and got the answer, which is 6.3.
- In 5 Days We Produce Enough Junk Mail to Reach the Moon. I took the width of a business envelope (8-7/8 inches) and multiplied by the number of junk mail pieces and divided by the number of inches to the moon, and saw that we could reach the moon 61 times per year with our junk mail. If you divide the number of mail delivery days by 61, you get 5, which means every 5 days we could reach the moon again with our junk mail.
- Junk Mail Produces 1 Billion Pounds of Landfill Each Year. If you take the 2.6 million trees killed each year and convert that into pounds of paper, you get roughly 2 billion pounds. Even if you assume half of that is recycled (I saw an estimate of 45% on Wikipedia) you still have 1 billion pounds of paper going into landfills
- Junk Mail Weighs Almost Double the US Military’s Tanks. Our junk mail weighs nearly twice as much as all the US tanks in the world, combined. If you take the average US tank at a weight of 67 tons (a ton is 2,000 pounds) and divide the total weight of paper from junk mail by that number, you find that junk mail produced each year weighs the same as over 15,000 tanks. According to Wikipedia, the US military has about 8,000 tanks. By the way, a tank weighs about 40 times more than a standard car.
How It Works:
- Companies want your business but unless you manually “opt out” they have no way of knowing that you do not wish to receive junk mail.
- There are no fees to add your address to the National Do Not Mail Registry.
- Simply fill out the short form below and submit your information.
- We then submit your address to our weekly suppression file that gets emailed out to the most popular junk mail providers
- You should start receiving less junk mail in as little as 2 weeks
Get Started Now
We work entirely off donations, If you believe in saving the planet and would like to donate please do so today as it costs money to do what we do!